Image: Photo of French Bee Boarding Sign at Newark Airport 11 May 2026
LESSONS LEARNED: PACK LIGHT
By Gail K. Kachnycz on 20 August 2026
While I was couch surfing with friends and family during our house renovation, I learned that you
don’t need as much stuff as you think you do. Rick Steves, well known for his travel shows on PBS, has
said, “You’ll never meet a traveler who brags: ‘Every year I pack heavier.’”
Out of necessity, I had to remove every article of clothing for drawers and closets, since furniture was
relocated and closets were used to store boxes, small furniture, and almost anything that could be crammed
in. However, I did not use all the clothes that were taken from the house. Since the time away was
October through March, summer items were put into deep storage. As I mentioned in the post last week, I
sent garments needed for special events to my sister who lives locally, so I would have access should the
need arise. For most days, I rotated about three to four sets of long pants, scrub tops, and long sleeved
shirts. For colder days I layered with turtlenecks, long sleeved T-shirts, sweaters, and hoodies. I had two
nice tops with sweaters that I wore with nicer pants on alternate Sundays or for social events. That was it.
Granted, I am retired so I don’t have a dress code for the workplace or need to entertain business
associates at upscale restaurants, but you get the idea. It was for a defined time, and most folks understood
the limitations.
When it was time for the trip to France in May, I easily fit my clothes into the standard 22”x14”x9”
carry-on bag, and it weighed only 15 pounds. Packing light has several advantages: no wait time at
baggage claim or fee for checking luggage. You are more mobile and less tired than if you are managing a
heavier bag.
Living a life that is “packed light” usually also involves a good look at how we spend our time. If we
are not encumbered with a lot of material possessions, we don’t need to spend time to maintain them.
We can respond more quickly to opportunities that the Lord brings our way.
My time of living from a suitcase was only six months. When the renovation was complete, I returned
to the house. Some of the things that were packed away, such as the summer clothes, needed to be
retrieved. As our seasons of life change, it is a good idea to review what is needed and what can be
rehomed and used by others instead of being stored away. During the process of packing and then
unpacking, I have tried to maintain that attitude. I have asked myself, “What have I been saving ‘just in
case,’ or because it might be useful in the future?” Much of that stuff can be donated, to serve a useful
purpose right away, not “some day.” Some organizations will provide pickup at your home. Some benefit
non-profits or charities such as Red Cross, veterans, or cancer societies. Check the links below to find out
what household items each accepts. There may also be local thrift stores that accept donations.
gogreendrop Green Drop (emails you a form to declare for tax purposes)
ReStore ReStore (Habitat for Humanity)
Salvation Army Donation Pickup
For recycling, these are local to the Philadelphia area, but there may be similar options in your locality:
eForce Electronic Recycling Anything with a plug, fluorescent tubes or compact bulbs
611 Metals Recycling You bring it, weigh it, and get paid!
Household Hazardous Waste (oil based paints, pool chemicals, etc) Check your county website,
usually collections are specific Saturdays May through September

No comments
Post a Comment