Lessons Learned: BIG ROCKS Part 2

Thursday, August 27, 2026

 

Image: Banner in a friend's garage; photo by Gail K. Kachnycz 12 June 2026

LESSONS LEARNED: BIG ROCKS PART 2

By Gail K. Kachnycz 27 August 2026     What are Big Rocks? They are the important things in life. Examples would be how we prioritize our

relationships: to God, to our families, to our friends, to our communities. They usually involve an

investment of time. However, we find ourselves doing other things that don't have lasting importance, but

cry for attention, like: mowing the lawn, washing the dishes, doing laundry. Granted, these tasks must be

done, but not at the expense of activities that have lasting impact and value. For a more complete

background on Big Rocks, see this past post:

Big Rocks for Chronic Illness 11/1/23

     The lesson of Big Rocks is that “they need to go in first.” Making room for relationships and other

priorities requires planning, and planning requires time. In some cases, devoting a weekend, day or

several hours of planning means that smaller tasks related to the Big Rock might fit in with other

activities of daily living. For example, while I was living with friends I thought that not having a house

or yard to care for meant that I could devote more time to Bible reading, prayer, and improving my

Spanish. However, I did not increase my time in any of these areas, because I did not plan for it. Now

that I am back in my own house, I have made some steps toward these goals. Here are some suggestions

based on my experiences:

     Divide the task into smaller blocks. Unpacking the house was overwhelming to me. My friend Kate,

who has known me for over 40 years, recommended that I plan a manageable time frame, possibly

starting with 30-45 minutes, to devote to the task of unpacking. I was not to worry about unpacking “X”

amount of boxes, just work for 30 minutes and be satisfied. Having achieved this goal, a small reward

could be enjoyed. As I felt able, I could increase the time devoted to the task. This also works well with

yard work. Taking before and after pictures boosts that sense of accomplishment.

     Make a plan and define the daily attention to it. Take advantage of plans that are already prepared.

There are many Bible reading schedules that can be downloaded onto your phone. Operation World has

a plan for praying for all nations over the course of a year. I do at least one Spanish lesson per day with

Duo Lingo (I am a Streak Freak with 1724 days & this really motivates me). The Topical Memory

System from Navigators is an organized way to approach memorizing Bible verses.


 Operation World Website

  Navigators Website   


Enlist friends or family. I pray with two prayer partners on Tuesday evenings. We use conference

calling so there is no travel involved. If the weather is good, I might combine this with an exercise walk

through the neighborhood. My sister sends a Zoom link once a month to invite my siblings to catch up

with each other. Technology is helpful, but five siblings in three states have to agree on a mutually

convenient time. We make the commitment and reap the benefits of stronger relationships.

     Find a way to make time for planning part of your routine (in other words, plan to plan). I make a 2

week schedule every other Sunday afternoon. I have the space and quiet time to do this at home. If your

house is busy or you might be interrupted, I would suggest doing your planning at your local free public

library. They are quiet spaces and have free internet (however, it is not secure so don’t do online

purchases or banking). Since they are municipal services, they usually can be reached by public

transportation if that is needed.

 If you cannot leave the one you are caring for, look for a time in the routine of care when you can be

available but not necessarily required for hands-on assistance. This might be during a nap or a TV show

that occupies them.


No comments

Post a Comment