CHRISTMAS IN JULY

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

 


CHRISTMAS IN JULY by Gail K. Kachnycz

     Is Christmas “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year,” or do you anticipate it with fear instead of cheer? Now that I am retired, I have time to plan ahead more easily. When I was still working, full time during the week and part time on the weekend, there was less time to devote to preparing for celebrations and parties at both jobs, church, and with family. My husband was still able to handle gifts for family, and was always better at that than I was. However, I felt a bit overwhelmed with making a dish or dessert for four parties, gifts for my co-workers, and hosting Christmas brunch and dinner for our immediate family and often hosting Christmas Eve for extended family. Over the years, I learned some tricks to decrease the stress and place more emphasis on the holiday traditions that are meaningful to me. 

1. “CLEAR THE DECKS…with boughs of holly” Clearing the decks means removing everything from the schedule that you possibly can, reserving time for those events that are important to you. Some ways to do this would be:

a. Schedule any routine events, such as dental appointments, car maintenance, etc. for either before mid-November or after the New Year.

b. Change Christmas cards into “Holiday” cards. I learned this from a friend, who sent out greetings in February, stating, “Groundhog Day is a holiday, isn’t it?” I have many relatives and friends who live some distance away, so I like to send a newsletter. I now plan that it is a “New Year” letter, but it might arrive near Groundhog Day, Presidents Day, or even St. Patrick’s Day.

c. The freezer is your friend. If you are expected to provide homemade cookies at work or family or church parties, choose ones that freeze well, and have a baking day some time during the fall. 

2. Take a tip from Tevye, “TRADITION…TRADITION!” Many of the cherished memories of Christmas are of events, foods, or music that happened every year. Use this to your advantage, so you don’t have to re-invent the wheel time and again. Put the dates for parties, concerts, and other events in your calendar as soon as you know them.

a. Toward the end of my career, I discovered a dish for sharing at work parties that could be made ahead, refrigerated, and did not need re-heating. One co-worker reminded me every time she saw me until I sent her the recipe. It became my go-to for pot-luck events. The recipe for Quinoa Salad was published on May 23. If possible, become known for bringing the same dish or dessert to large meals. You have the advantage of knowing how to prepare it, and having the correct equipment/serving dish. The host has the advantage of counting on your contribution to the meal (always confirm with your host).

b. If you are responsible for gifts, consider a membership that can be renewed every year. I have received memberships to gardens in the Delaware Valley and enjoy these very much.

c. Budget for charitable donations. The Christmas season is a time of giving. Some charities make special appeals at this time. “Giving Tuesday” has become a tradition.

d. Make a list, check it twice. I have a master list for Christmas as a document on my computer; it includes family/friends, church, and charities. I have changed it slightly each year, adding new family members or removing the work obligations once I retired. Preparing the list (maybe in July?) means you can take advantage of sales online or in stores. For example, if you prepare shoebox gifts for Operation Christmas Child, you can take advantage of sales at the end of summer and back-to-school specials.

3. ALL IS CALM…ALL IS BRIGHT One of the most important parts of the Christmas season is including the traditions or events that are meaningful to you. This is part of self-care for a care-giver. My church tradition when I was growing up included celebrating the Advent Wreath the four Sundays before Christmas, and the candlelight service Christmas Eve. I especially enjoy the carols and hymns of Christmas. If attending a service like this in person is difficult, check for special holiday concerts that are being broadcast; check listings on Public Television. Recording the program and watching it when you are able could be very restorative. For stories that focus on a more simple celebration of Christmas, I highly recommend A Charlie Brown Christmas and It’s A Wonderful Life

Linus quotes Luke 2:10-11

     If you have suggestions to make the holidays easier, a tradition you enjoy, or a recipe, please send me the information. I will share the ideas in the posts that publish recipes. Contact me:

amapthroughthevalley@gmail.com

 


No comments

Post a Comment