Miracle Machine

Wednesday, May 29, 2024

 

Photo: Oxygen Concentrator Machine by Gail K. Kachnycz

MIRACLE MACHINE

By Gail K. Kachnycz 22 February 2024

     “Save the Date.” You might have received a notice with this message, perhaps to make plans to attend a future wedding. In October 2021, I received a Save the Date notice for my high school reunion, to be held in September 2022. As events unfolded, they would demonstrate God’s faithfulness and perfect timing, and the power of prayer.

    The story actually began months earlier, in July of 2021. My husband Mike had been on hospice for 30 months. Since hospice care is considered when there is a life expectancy of only six to eight months or less, his case would receive an in-depth audit. We were advised that he would be discharged from hospice, but that we could appeal this decision. Hospice staff stated that since his condition continued to decline, they anticipated the appeal would be granted to reinstate hospice care.

     We were told that prescriptions and medical supports would continue during the process of appeal. However, just before the Independence Day weekend, I saw a medical supply truck pull up in our driveway. When I greeted the driver and asked the purpose of his visit, he replied that he was here to collect the oxygen equipment.

     “Did you confirm that with the patient?” I asked. The driver said, “No,” and looked confused. I can’t blame him. When a hospice agency notifies vendors that a patient is “discharged,” it usually means the client has died. I checked with Mike, who had received no notice of this plan. I told the driver my husband still had need of the oxygen equipment, and to be on his way. Because oxygen equipment is designated as “life-sustaining,” it cannot be removed unless it is replaced with identical equipment that is fully functional. While at home, Mike used an oxygen concentrator, a machine about the size of a dehumidifier or a tall kitchen trash can. He also had a smaller portable unit for use when he was traveling, that could be carried using a strap over-the-shoulder. The appeal process advanced through three levels over the course of about ten weeks. By mid-September 2021, the appeal process ended and Mike’s hospice care was not reinstated. He retained possession of the oxygen equipment, but without a service agency there was no maintenance or repair provided. Over the course of a year, the floor model oxygen concentrator ceased to function. Mike began to use the auxiliary equipment constantly, rather than just for travel. By September 6, 2022, the portable unit had also worn out.

     Once the third appeal was denied, Mike’s care transferred to his Primary Care Provider. She issued a prescription for oxygen equipment for his use. Mike researched several suppliers and found one online that included equipment maintenance. They were even willing to extend their Labor Day Discount although it was mid-September by the time Mike was ready to make the purchase. Mike was planning to purchase the machines September 14, 2022, when he learned that Medicare was putting a hold on approvals for two weeks, until September 28. The equipment cost thousands of dollars, and the reimbursement from Medicare was essential to make the purchase affordable. Mike had been without supplemental oxygen for over a week, and waiting another two weeks for the purchase, perhaps longer for the delivery, was a threat to his health. Our church fellowship had sustained us in prayer through the appeal process and we turned to them again, asking for prayer for God to provide in this situation that seemed to have no solution.

     I made plans to attend my high school reunion, set for September 16, 2022. Since the event would end late, about 11 PM, I arranged to stay at the home of a good friend also attending the reunion. When I arrived Friday afternoon, Kathy and I caught up on the news of our families. Uppermost in my mind was Mike’s need for oxygen equipment. I explained to Kathy the difficulties we were having making the purchase, especially the freeze on approvals by Medicare. Kathy listened carefully and then asked, “Would you like to borrow an oxygen concentrator until you can get your own? I have one in my attic.”

     I was incredulous; who does that? Who keeps an oxygen concentrator in their attic? I checked with Mike, who was as amazed as I was, and we gratefully accepted the offer. Kathy explained that she purchased the machine when her own mother was on hospice care. After her mother passed away, the machine was stored in her attic for the past four years.

     The following day the oxygen concentrator was loaded into my car. I arrived home by noon, and within an hour the machine was set up and in use. In addition, Medicare resumed reimbursement approvals after only one week rather than two, so Mike placed his order for purchase and had his own equipment by the end of September.

     Our experience demonstrates the power of prayer. When we asked our church fellowship to pray, things happened! Be open to having God answer in unexpected ways. It is also a testimony to God’s faithfulness: providing our individual needs.

     And finally, trust God’s timing. My “Save the Date” notice arrived the month after the third & final appeal to Medicare for hospice services was denied. God knew exactly how long the oxygen equipment would last and when it would need to be replaced. He knew when I would be with my friend, ten days after the last portable oxygen machine wore out. The oxygen concentrator in the attic was just what we needed, exactly at the time it was needed. 

And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19 NASB2020 

For I know the plans that I have for you’ declares the LORD, ‘plans for prosperity and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.’ Jeremiah 29:11 NASB2020 

Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21 KJV


My friend Kathy was certainly "a friend in need, a friend in deed"

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I'm experiencing many of those answers to prayer right now. I needed more care for my mother, and many were praying for us. We've seen the Lord provide wonderful, loving caregivers, who have helped shoulder the responsibility. They've also taught me lots of trick and tips on the subject. I'm so grateful for answered prayer.

    ReplyDelete